Monday, February 20, 2012

N is for Nutella Rice Krispies



This week was one of the weeks I had been looking forward to the most. Why? Because Rice Krispie Treats are my life. I distinctly remember coming home from my summer cheerleading camp and as I opened the door a sweet punch of melted marshmallows would knock me over. As if in Tom and Jerry, the tantalizing aroma would carry me over to the stove where the b-e-a-utiful brick of ooey, gooey treats were resting. They would sit there mocking me as my mother told me to wait until they cooled completely. Before long, I couldn't take it. Cutting myself a generous slice, I would pop it into my mouth before joyfully prancing away to watch cartoons. 
The next day, at cheer camp, as I sat down with the other girls on the concrete patio, I unzipped my bright pink lunchbox to find a happy little square piece of heaven patiently waiting for me. I would try to hide my rice krispie treat behind my sandwich, but the other girls immediately caught me red handed and I sadly had to each hand them a (very small) piece. 
Six years later and my habits regarding homemade rice krispie treats have not budged, I still don't wait for them to cool and always give myself a big slice, and people are crazy if they think I am going to share. When researching for which recipes I was going to make, once I stumbled across "N" I somehow knew I was going to do something with Nutella, because Nutella is the bomb.com. According to nutellausa.com Nutella came to be through the mind of Mr. Pietro Ferrero. Because of the lack cocoa during WWII, Mr. Ferrero used hazelnuts instead and created our beloved chocolate spread.

 I never would have thought to pair Nutella with Rice Krispie Treats, until I stumbled across a blog called stickygooeycreamychewy.com. This author has pretty much the same feelings about this recipe as I do, for example, this post starts with "Aside from my family, there are two things in this world that I honestly don’t think I could live without....They are Nutella and Rice Krispie treats." She then goes on to state "If there was a twelve step program for Rice Krispie treats, I’d be in it.  Sigh… So, imagine the allure of a Rice Krispie treat made with mounds of Nutella swirled in.  It’s almost too much to contemplate!   I can’t believe I never thought of it before!" Preach, girl, preach!
Such simple ingredients, yet such a delicious result

Now once again, this recipe had an insane amount of butter. I also decided to make two batches, to bring to school for members of a club. Let me just tell, you, five seconds after saying I brought Nutella Rice Krispies, they were gone. 
So. Much. Butter.


Also, if you make two batches, the recipe pretty much calls for an entire jar of Nutella. Nothing wrong with that.
After melted, the marshmallows became a gooey cloud of awesomeness

 
Once you pour in the rice krispies, brace yourself for some hard work. It takes serious elbow grease to stir the pot after a while, so immediately called in reinforcements; my dad. 


Until next time, show off those sweet teeth and always ask "What's for dessert?"

No comments:

Post a Comment