Sunday, February 19, 2012

W is for Wedding Cookies


So let me just start off this post saying MEXICAN WEDDING COOKIES ARE DA BOMB (yes their real names are Mexican wedding cookies, but I tweaked it for this project)! Just the sight of these babies, brings me back to good Christmas memories, when my dad's side would come down. My aunt make the best Mexican wedding cookies and one of my cousins loves these cookies so much, it might be illegal in some states, how many she would eat if she had the chance (by the way if she reads this, she might kill me, but she's as thin as a stick these cookies are helping her out). My aunt would come through the door with at least 3 Tupperwares full of these things, but the next day most of them would be gone....

Mexican wedding cookies, also known as Spanish wedding cookies, originated in the Medieval times from the Arabs and then spread to Europe, and thus to Spanish cultures, only to arrive in the U.S. in the  50's. These cookies come in many different types; round, flat or crescent, also with the optional powdered sugar. These cookies were traditionally served at weddings, because the rich ingredients, of butter, sugar, and oil, signify a long happy marriage.

Many different nuts can be added into this recipe, but my family always preferred pecans
After assembling the dough, one must let it cool and for some reason I felt the need to put it next to a flower and a "thumbs-up". Let's just say it was for sizing and context sake.. 



After placing them in the oven and letting them cool for a few minutes, you roll them in that delicious powdered sugar and place them on a wire rack to let the cool completely before digging in!! 

The powdered sugar is supposed to symbolize purity

 
I really don't know why I was obsessed with that flower so much...it is pretty though.
Until next time guys, show off those sweet teeth and always ask "What's for dessert?"

Recipe from epicurious.com



No comments:

Post a Comment