Saturday, April 7, 2012

C is for Caramelized Banana Split with Hot Chocolate Sauce


I made this recipe for my dad's birthday. It's from epicurious.com and the picture looked like a crowd pleaser, and just the title drew me in and teased me to make it.
A traditional banana split consists of three scoops of ice cream (vanilla, chocolate and strawberry) on a 
halved banana, topped off with chocolate, marshmallow, nuts, whipped cream, and a cherry. Yummo!


The Banana Split was invented by David Evans Strickler, a 23-year-old apprentice pharmacist at Tassel 
Pharmacy in Latrobe, Pennsylvania and soon became an american classic.


For the letter "C", I originally wanted to do a coconut cake, which I also planned to make for my dad's birthday because he loves coconut. But the only recipes I could find had many steps and too many weird ingredients
We only had enough bananas for this recipe. To ensure that they would not be eaten I wrote a note stating "No touchie. I need them for recipe." It turned out to be very effective, no one ate them :D


I am actually not a huge fan of banana and this recipe made them kinda gooey after they were cooked. Some people might like that texture, like my dad, but, to me, this recipe didn't live up to my expectations.
But my dad loved it and said it tasted like bananas foster, which is one of his new favorites. Glad to make ya proud pop!


P.S. This recipe was also kinda stressful because there was a lot going on; I forgot about walnuts and had to frantically toast them last minute, then the bananas got gooey and cold, the ice cream melted, and I didn't wanna burn chocolate
Recipe from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Caramelized-Banana-Splits-with-Hot-Chocolate-Sauce-240583
Until next time, put those sweet teeth to work and don't forget to ask "What's for dessert?"

No comments:

Post a Comment