Saturday, April 7, 2012

T is for Tiramisu


Tiramisu means "pick me up" in Italian; it is the perfect combo when some people want coffee, some want sweets after dinner. Ever since I was young and had tiramisu in some random restaurant or bakery I now always look for it on the dessert menu whenever I go out, in search of that perfect  "pick me up." And I think I found it, surprisingly, in my own kitchen.


 According to the article, The Trail of Tiramisu, the present day version of tiramisu was said to have been created by Carminantonio Iannaccone in a restaurant in Treviso, located northwest of Venice on Italy's northern Adriatic coast, called Le Beccherie. In the 70's he opened up a restaurant where he cooked up a dessert based on the "everyday flavors of the region": strong coffee, creamy mascarpone, eggs, Marsala and ladyfinger cookies. He says it took him two years to perfect the recipe, which was originally served as an elegant, freestanding cake."
The man who started it all; Mr. Carminantonio Iannaccone
Nowadays you can find all of these ingredients at your local grocery store. Mascarpone is a soft, mild Italian cream cheese.and usually found in the specialty cheeses aisle. 


This dessert is oh so very light. My family and I hacked at it one spoonful at a time, til it was a sad small lump. I would be at school just dreaming about this dessert; I would come home and eat some for snack, I ate it for breakfast, and of course after dinner.



I tried to soak the lady fingers to give it a stronger coffee flaver, but they dissintegrated quickly. So follow the recipe and just brush them with coffee.


Some other recipes wanted me to make a difficult creamy thing, but we are all normal people and don't wanna waste time doing that. This recipe was awesome; easy, quick, delish, which is all I ask for in a dessert recipe.
Recipe on page 54 of Teens Cook Dessert.
So until next time, show off those sweet teeth and don't forget to ask "What's for dessert?"

No comments:

Post a Comment