Friday, April 6, 2012

Z is for Zip-Lock Bag Ice Cream

I honestly can't imagine a world without the invention of ice cream. So my dessert weaknesses include; cupcakes, gummy candies, and frozen treats, mostly importantly, ice cream or custard.
Oh boy, someone needs to hold me back so I  don't try to lick the computer screen...

The first ice cream parlor was opened in New York in 1776. It was named ice cream from iced cream, like iced tea. Major breakthroughs of the ice cream industry include adding salt to the ice to lower the temperature,  Nancy Johnson patenting the hand-cranked freezer, and Jacob Fussell creating a commercial ice cream plant.
Nancy Johnson's beautiful invention

This recipe is awesome and super handy. Definitely will be using this again once summer rolls around. It's so fun, fast and easy. It would be a great activity for kids, like my little cousins or the kids I babysit for. They would love to squish the bags and see the ingredients transform into ice cream. The chemistry behind, not only in this recipe, but baking in general never ceases to amaze me. How can half and half, a splash of vanilla, rock salt and ice, come together to create this delicious creation? Beats me.

 It honestly tastes just like store bought vanilla ice cream, just not as frozen solid, which is fine with me. If you like it firmer, you could definitely just pop it in the freezer for a couple hours or overnight.



Nowadays, there are those cool, new, high tech ice cream machines, (even though my family owns one...) but now I know all you need is 2 Ziplock bags for a perfect summer classic!
It was "Mmm Mmm Good!"

Recipe from http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/homemade-ice-cream-in-a-bag-684806/

No comments:

Post a Comment