Monday, April 16, 2012

E is for Eclairs

So yeah, if you haven't read the O is for Oreo Cupcakes post, read it first then come back to this one.
Right now you're probably wondering, Why is that person dipping the eclair into the custard? Well you shouldn't because, I stated in my last post that the custard didn't thicken up well. This means that you didn't follow my above directions, well then. Anyways the custard didn't come together like it was supposed to, I don't think I simmered it long enough, forcing us to pour it into cups and dip our eclairs into. But that was only one of the many problems I faced with this recipe. 
It should have been fairly easy, but I baked the shells first, then the recipe said to turn the oven off and let the shells dry out as the oven cools off. But me, being frazzled, trying not to butcher these recipes, turned  the oven back on to preheat to 350 degrees for the cupcakes, totally forgetting about the shells. This made them more cardboard-y and less flaky, like I wanted. 

Me trying to find humor in the bag of gooey custard...


Also, while trying to finish up the cupcakes and find a replacement for the missing frosting ingredients, the chocolate topping totally slipped my mind. I had to make it quite frantically before the cupcakes came out of the oven, and recruited my sister's boyfriend into spreading the topping over the eclairs. As you can see, baking is his true calling. Just kidding, I really appreciated his help. 

My guests "enjoying" my "delicious" desserts
Well there you have it, I bit off more than I could chew, again....But I'm probably going to make more mistakes like this in the very near future, just you wait. (I mean I'm a teenager, we make mistakes left and right, gimme a break) 
Well until next time, show off those sweet teeth and don't forget to ask, "What's for dessert?"
Recipe fro page 46 in Teen Cookbook  




No comments:

Post a Comment